Simple French Dip
Want something different, easy, and delicious for dinner? Then you’ll love this Simple French Dip recipe that comes together quickly and is sure to leave you satisfied! Plus, this recipe is easily made vegan by making a few substitutions. Switch up the dinner routine and try something new this week!
- 1 Large Yellow Onion – sliced into strips
- 2 Tablespoons Butter (dairy free if vegan)
- 3 Tablespoons Sherry (dry vegan white wine or Sherry can be substituted)
- 6 Cups Vegetable broth
- ¼ Cup Worcestershire sauce (use anchovy free for vegan)
- ½ Tablespoon liquid smoke
- At least 16 oz. Sliced seitan (or dark meat of your choice)
- Sliced Provolone (dairy free if vegan)
- Sliced Pepperoncini Peppers
- Stoneground mustard
- Sub Buns
- Melt butter over medium heat in a medium to large pot. Once melted add your onion strips and sauté until translucent. Once onions are translucent add your sherry carefully, and cooking until sherry is almost cooked out.
- Now add your vegetable broth, your worcestershire sauce, and your liquid smoke. Bring the mixture to a boil and then turn down to a simmer for 5 minutes
- While liquid is simmering, do any prep work needed to prepare the seitan or meat, cheese, and peppers. Toast your sub buns briefly to crisp the outer sides. Remove the buns once toasted and turn the oven to a low broil.
- Take your broth off the heat and place your seitan or meat in it. Put mustard on your bun and now place the seitan/meat in, topped with the peppers, and covered in cheese. Place into the oven to broil for 2-3 minutes.
- Put broth into bowl, prepare plate with your choice of side and delicious sandwich. Enjoy!