PALEO PUMPKIN PIE BARS WITH ALMOND FLOUR SUGAR COOKIE CRUST
These healthy Paleo Pumpkin Pie Bars have an almond flour ‘sugar cookie’ crust, are grain & gluten-free, dairy-free, naturally sweetened, and easy to make. They are a delicious healthy Thanksgiving or holiday treat!
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
Total Time: 1 Hour 10 Minutes
FOR THE SUGAR COOKIE CRUST:
- 1/4 cup melted and cooled coconut oil
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup packed fine almond flour (do not use almond meal)
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or can sub coconut milk)
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (or 1-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/4 teaspoon allspice or cloves)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
TO MAKE THE CRUST:
- In the bowl of a food processor, add the coconut oil, sugar, egg, and vanilla extract. Process for 20-30 seconds until well combined.
- Next add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Process until a dough forms. Allow dough to sit for 5 minutes. You can also mix by hand or use an electric mixer, but I find the food processor to be the easiest.
- Add dough to the prepared baking pan. Use a rubber spatula or your hands to help you even spread out the dough towards the edges. It should be thin but will puff up when it bakes. Bake for 9 minutes, then remove and set aside to cool for 3-5 minutes.
TO MAKE THE FILLING:
- In a large bowl, mix the pumpkin puree, eggs, almond milk, maple syrup, coconut sugar, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice until smooth. Pour over the sugar cookie crust and tap gently on the counter to remove any air bubbles. Bake for 50-60 minutes until set and filling no longer jiggles.
- Remove and allow to cool completely at room temperature before covering with plastic wrap and transferring to the fridge for 6-8 hours, or overnight if desired.
- Once ready, cut into 12 bars and serve with whipped cream or powdered sugar. You may cut off the edges for a prettier look. Store bars in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To freeze: simply let them cool completely, wrap them up well and freeze them for up to 1 month. Before serving let the pumpkin pie bars thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Share this post?
OXALATES CAN MAKE YOU SICK
Thanks to a dear long-time customer, I learned about a new book by Sally Norton titled Toxic Superfoods that discusses how oxalates found in many