BROCCOLI FENNEL SAUSAGE CASSEROLE
An especially quick and easy supper while also hitting all the flavor, color, and texture notes a cook or eater could ask for. Great as a complete meal or side.
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- 12 ounces (about 3 or 4 links) good-quality pork sausage,* removed from casings and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 2 small heads of broccoli, cut into small florets
- 2 medium fennel bulb, trimmed, cored, and cut into thin slices, about 1/4-inch thick
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- Finely grated zest and 1 teaspoon of juice from 1 small lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon Aleppo pepper, or a lesser amount of red pepper flakes or cayenne (omit if you are using spicy sausage)
* For Vegan or Vegetarian, use Beyond Meat Sausage of your choice
- Heat oven to 425° F.
- Combine broccoli florets and sliced fennel in a shallow casserole or baking dish. You want them to fit snugly in a single, even layer. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, whole-grain mustard, lemon juice and zest, and Aleppo pepper. Add to broccoli and fennel and toss well to coat evenly. Nestle the pieces of sausage among the broccoli and fennel.
- Roast for about 20-25 minutes, or until the broccoli and fennel are tender and the sausage is no longer pink. For extra security, you can toss about halfway through the cooking time to ensure even cooking.
- Optional but highly recommended: Place the pan under the broiler for a few minutes to crisp the sausage and slightly char the broccoli and fennel in spots.
- Add more salt, pepper, or lemon juice if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Share this post?
OXALATES CAN MAKE YOU SICK
Thanks to a dear long-time customer, I learned about a new book by Sally Norton titled Toxic Superfoods that discusses how oxalates found in many