BLT w/ Eggplant Bacon
B.L.T. These three letters can often incite salivating among the foodies we know, and for good reason! Whether you’re looking for a nice comfort food dinner, an easy sandwich to bring to work for lunch, or you’re planning a nice picnic, the B.L.T. is sure to be a crowd pleaser. Plus, our version of this classic, swaps the traditional bacon for eggplant bacon. Which means, if you decide to help yourself to a second sandwich, you won’t have to feel guilty about it! Give this recipe a try and let us know what you think of it.
- 1 Eggplant (only need half)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Liquid Aminos (can substitute Soy Sauce)
- 1 ½ Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 1 Tbsp Vegan Worcestershire
- 2 Tsp Liquid Smoke
- 2 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Garlic powder
- ½ tsp Fresh ground pepper
- 1 Tomato, sliced
- 1 Head of lettuce, will only need 1 or 2 leaves
- 1 Avocado, halved, pitted, and sliced
- Vegan Mayonnaise (store bought, or homemade)
- 2 Slices of Bread
- Begin by preheating your oven to 250 degrees.
- Slice your eggplant in half lengthwise (store the half you’re not using). Then, slice your eggplant in half lengthwise again. Using a very sharp knife, or a mandoline, to cut your eggplant quarters into thin slices (not paper thin, but close), set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl combine, olive oil, liquid aminos, maple syrup, vegan Worcestershire, liquid smoke, paprika, salt, garlic powder, ground pepper.
- Place parchment paper on baking sheet, place eggplant slices on paper, brush eggplant with seasoning mixture, flip and repeat to coat both sides, sprinkle with pepper.
- Put baking sheet in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes, until eggplant bacon looks red and dry, it will crisp up more as it cools.
- While the eggplant cooks, you can use this time to slice your tomato, avocado, and lettuce. You can also prepare any sides you wish to accompany your sandwich.
- Once your eggplant has finished cooking, set it aside to cool and begin to construct your sandwich.
- Toast your bread if you so choose. Then apply your mayo, lettuce, tomato, eggplant bacon, and avocado! Pair it with your favorite side or maybe a second sandwich?!