ZUCCHINI NOODLE PRIMAVERA
This primavera recipe cuts carbs by swapping out the pasta for zucchini “noodles.” This quick vegetarian dinner is chock-full of colorful vegetables tossed in a light, creamy sauce. You may use prepackaged spiralized zucchini noodles to keep this recipe ultra-fast, but if you have a spiralizer and zucchini on hand, you can easily make your own.
Prep Time: 20 mins
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons refrigerated basil pesto (such as Gotham Greens)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups multicolored cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 2 (10 ounce) packages spiralized zucchini noodles (about 6 cups; see Tip)
- ¼ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add flour; whisk until smooth.
- Add half-and-half; cook, whisking constantly until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Add pesto; whisk until combined. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add tomatoes, garlic and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes burst and the garlic is fragrant for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add broccoli, bell pepper, carrots and the pesto mixture; cook, stirring occasionally, until the broccoli softens, about 4 minutes.
- Add zucchini noodles; toss gently to combine. Cook, gently tossing constantly, until the mixture is hot and the zoodles are coated with sauce, about 2 minutes.
- Divide evenly among 4 bowls; top with Parmesan and basil.
May add onion (add in with tomatoes and garlic) and mushrooms (add in with vegetables) or grilled chicken breast pieces if desired. Look for packages of fresh zucchini noodles in the produce department, or make your own zucchini noodles; you’ll need about 2 large zucchini for 6 cups of “zoodles.”