Tofu Bolognese with Zucchini noodles
- 1 block extra firm tofu
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- 3-4 medium zucchini
- 1-2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. basil
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- 1 tbsp. rosemary
- ½ tbsp. thyme
- ½ tbsp. marjoram
- 3 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain tofu block of water and set aside. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, add olive oil, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, chili powder, red pepper flakes, fennel seeds, garlic powder, and liquid smoke. Stir well to combine, should make a dark brown “paste”
- Crumble tofu block into small pieces in the mixing bowl. Stir to incorporate the “paste” with the tofu, should be evenly coated and colored. Place tofu on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper and bake 40-45 minutes, stirring at least once
- Meanwhile, dice your onion, mince your garlic, and begin to heat your olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Saute your onions for 5-7 minutes or until they begin to caramelize, once they do, add your garlic and saute for another 3 minutes, until the garlic is very fragrant
- Add your crushed tomatoes to the pan to deglaze it, and stir. Once onions and garlic are incorporated, add in your herbs and spices and stir. Bring sauce to light boil, and then turn the heat to low and allow to simmer approx. 20 minutes
- While pasta sauce is simmering and the tofu is baking, begin to prepare your zucchini noodles by washing and drying them. Use an automatic spiralizer or handheld vegetable spiralizer to turn your zucchini into noodles.
- Heat olive oil in shallow pan and add your zoodles once warm. Saute zoodles for 7-10 minutes until they become soft. Once warm and soft, remove from heat.
- Remove your tofu from the oven, and add it to your pasta sauce. Stir well to incorporate, and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve tofu Bolognese sauce over your zoodles and accompany with bread, Enjoy!