Summertime in Indy!
Warm weather has finally arrived, and there has never been a better time to be a resident of the Indianapolis area! Now is the time that all of the kids are home from school and you’re looking for things to do to keep your family occupied. Don’t waste a minute of your time inside when there is so much to do in Indy over the summer season! However, where do you even start and what activity is right for you and or your family? Here is a list of some fun activities to do around our city that are sure to bring hours of enjoyment for everyone:
- Go Ape: With a mission to inspire everyone to live life adventurously, Go Ape takes you through all sorts of obstacles and zip lines through the treetops. This is a one-stop-shop for a summer thrill that you have to experience!
- Visit a local state park: From parks like Fort Harrison State Park to Eagle Creek, Shades State Park, and White River State Park, there are numerous places to get out and enjoy some sunshine!
- Go to a museum: There are many options for museums to visit in the downtown area including the Children’s Museum, the Indiana State Museum, and Newfields, to name a few. Learn about art and history in a fun and interactive way that everyone can enjoy!
- Go Camping: Pitch a tent and enjoy a night under the stars at any of our numerous local campgrounds! The beauty of nature is abundant in locations like the Indianapolis KOA Holiday, Mills Family Woods, and Indy Lakes.
- Visit a local water park: Cool down on a hot summers day with a visit to locations like the Monon Center in Carmel or Splash Island in Plainfield, for a dip in the pool!
- Go Kayaking/Canoeing: Warm weather and cool waters are a perfect combination, and what better way to enjoy them than some time on a canoe or a kayak? Numerous locations offer rental equipment on some of the best waters in Indiana from Eagle Creek to the White River!
- Take a walk at a local park: Enjoy the beautiful summer season at one of many local parks in the Indianapolis are like Flat Fork Creek where you can walk through miles of nature!
- Visit the Newly Remodeled Georgetown Market Eatery: With an updated look and seating area featuring a brand new menu, you’re sure to find something you love served fresh right here! From a build your own salad bar with hot soups, to our reimagined sandwich menu, and made to order juices and smoothies we’ve got something for everyone! While you’re visiting check out the rest of the store and purchase a few items!
- Catch a local sporting event: The summer sports season is here with exciting matches happening all over the city! Tickets for Indy Eleven and the Indianapolis Indians on sale now with the Indianapolis Colts season starting late in the summer/early in the fall!
- Enjoy a shopping spree at an outdoor mall: Need to get your shopping fix in, well why not skip the indoor mall for the beautiful sunshine at one of the area’s outdoor malls? From Hamilton Town Center to Clay Terrace or the Shops at Perry Crossing, you can shop till you drop and then some!
- Spend a day on the water: Large reservoirs like Geist, Morse, and Eagle Creek are within a short driving distance of the city’s center in Indianapolis. Why not take a day and enjoy some peace and relaxation floating on the water in a rental boat? You’ll be very glad that you did!
- Visit the local zoo: Looking for a fun getaway with the family? Spend a day at the beautiful Indianapolis Zoo! Time at the zoo is enjoyable for people of all ages as you will be captivated and wanting to learn more through each exhibit.
With so many options to choose from, there’s no excuse for staying indoors while time and the amazing weather pass by. From shopping at local stores to visiting paid attractions and much more, there’s entertainment for all ages across our wonderful city. No matter what activity you and or your family would enjoy the most, make sure that you are taking advantage of your summer by getting outside, breathing in some fresh air, and having fun!