RAW CARROT CAKE BARS
Who does not love carrot cake? Use fresh grated carrots or the leftovers from juicing carrots. This yummy vegan treat is great with or without the frosting, too. And NO baking!
Carrot Cake Bars:
- ½ cup raw almonds
- ¼ cup raw walnuts
- ¼ cup hemp hearts
- 1 cup fresh Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup finely shredded carrot
- ¼ cup crystallized ginger, chopped small
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting (Makes 2 Cups):
- ½ cup vegan butter (softened to room temp): Earth Balance Butter Sticks are best. One stick equals one-half cup. Do not use tub spread.
- 8-ounce vegan cream cheese (slightly softened): Leave out of fridge for 1 hour
- 3-5 Cups sifted organic powdered sugar
Carrot Cake Bars:
- In the bowl of your food processor, mix together the nuts, hemp hearts, and dates. Process until the pieces are all uniform in size and a sticky dough has formed.
- Add the coconut oil and cinnamon then process well until combined.
- Add the shredded coconut, carrots, and ginger – pulse just until incorporated, but not too much that the texture is too soft.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and pour the dough out onto it.
- Shape the dough into one large rectangle and refrigerate until firm, about 5-10 minutes.
- Slice the bar into desired bars*
*You can also roll this dough into balls straight from the food processor.
Frosting* (If desired):
- In large bowl, beat or whisk softened butter vigorously.
- Add vegan cream cheese and beat until creamy and smooth.
- Add sifted powdered sugar one cup at a time until thick and spreadable and as sweet as desired.
- Keep adding powdered sugar until it reaches the right (thick) consistency.
*Not a vegan? Just use regular butter and cream cheese.
These raw bars should keep in the refrigerator in an airtight container for at least a week or up to a month in the freezer. Enjoy! Recipe by Lisa Marie Gonzales