Lentil Sloppy Joes!
Some nights you want to create a culinary masterpiece when you step in the kitchen. Others, it sounds a lot easier to fix something we’re all familiar with for dinner than to try and reinvent the meal! Enter this delicious, easy, lentil sloppy joe recipe that everyone is sure to love! Utilizing your favorite sloppy joe mix from a can, or a homemade recipe passed down for generations, you can get these whipped up in no time!
2 Cups Vegetable Broth
1 Cup Green or Brown Lentils
1 tsp Salt
1 bay leaf
1-2 Cans Sloppy Joe mix (or 2-4 Cups Homemade Sloppy Joe mix)
Sliced Cheese (Dairy free if desired)
Side: (possible options)
- Rinse your lentils under cold water to ensure they are clean, and you discard any pieces of debris that might have been gathered along with the lentils
- Place the lentils, broth, salt, and bay leaf in a pan and bring that pan to a high simmer, but not quite a boil. Once the high simmer is reached, allow it to sit for 3-5 minutes and then turn that down to a low simmer. You should see just a few bubbles every so often.
- Once a low simmer has been reached, place a lid over the pan, but leave it cracked so that it can still let steam escape. Cook your lentils for approximately 20 minutes, until the crispness is gone, and the broth is absorbed. Now you can add your sloppy joe mix and allow this to simmer about 5 minutes longer, fully incorporating the mix with the lentils.
- While your lentils are cooking, prepare any sides you would like to have with your meal. We’d recommend peeling a few potatoes, cutting them into fries, soaking them in some water to remove the starch and then frying them! (seasoning with salt and pepper)
- Once your lentils and sides are finished cooking, it’s time to prepare your meal! Turn your broiler on low if you have one, load some sloppy joes up on your bun, top with cheese and melt away! Then make your plate, get your condiments and you’re ready to enjoy!