HEALTHY CARROT CAKE
The BEST healthy carrot cake recipe! Extremely moist, soft, and fluffy! Sweetened with coconut sugar and made with all whole wheat flour. An EASY recipe that everyone will love. Vegan & Gluten-free options included.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: Serves 16
- 4 Eggs (See Notes For Flax Egg/Vegan Option)
- ½ Cup Sweet Potato Puree (bake & use blender or baby food (w/no other ingredients)
- 1 Cup + 1 Tbs Coconut Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbs Refined Coconut Oil (can sub olive oil or avocado oil)
- ¼ Cup + 1 Tbs Plant-based Milk (I use unsweetened almond milk) (See Notes if using flax eggs)
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- ½ tsp Ginger
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- 2 Cups White Whole Wheat Flour (or Whole Wheat Pastry Flour) (See Notes)
- 3 Cups Shredded Carrots
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 block (8 oz) Cream Cheese (you can use low fat or vegan)
- ½ cup powdered sugar (may add more to taste)
- 1 Tbs plant-based milk (or milk of choice or water)
- Preheat oven 350 F.
- Place 2 round, 9-inch cake pans on parchment paper and trace around them. Line the bottoms of pans with parchment and grease with coconut oil (can use spray). (See Notes)
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and then add the rest of the wet ingredients. Whisk until smooth.
- Next, shift in spices, flour & baking soda. Add in salt. Mix gently until well incorporated
- Lastly, fold in shredded carrots.
- Bake at 350 F. on middle rack for 19-22 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Let cool completely and make the icing.
Combine softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, and plant-based milk (or water) in a medium bowl. Beat with a hand mixer or standing mixer until smooth. Frost cake, adding a layer of frosting in between cakes (flat sides together). Decorate with chopped walnut, pecans, or ground cinnamon.
- To make this cake gluten-free: you can use 1-1 gluten-free flour.
- Egg replacement: use 2 flax eggs and 1/2 cup more unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice) to replace the 4 regular eggs. Make 2 flax eggs by combining 2 Tbs ground flax + 4 Tbs water. Let sit and thicken for at least 5 minutes. The cake is a little less fluffy, but it is so good and extremely moist!
- Don’t have parchment paper: just really grease the pans well and be patient when getting the cake out after baking. Run a thin plastic spatula or knife around the edges of the cakes.
- Pureed Sweet Potato: It’s what makes this carrot cake moist without having to add a ton of oil!
- Eggs: this recipe uses 4 eggs for texture and fluffiness. See Notes if you’re interested in making this cake vegan.
- Coconut Sugar: sweetens this cake perfectly while adding hints of nutty caramel undertones.
- Vanilla: gives it that extra kick of flavor.
- Refined Coconut Oil: only a couple tablespoons of coconut oil are needed for this recipe. It makes this healthy carrot cake lower in calories and fat than your typical cake (may substitute other oil).
- Plant-based Milk: any milk works.
- Spices: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and pink Himalayan salt for the absolute perfect spice combination.
- White Whole Wheat Flour: higher in fiber, protein, and nutrients than all-purpose flour (health benefits of whole wheat flour). For gluten-free option, see Notes.
- Carrots: this recipe uses 3 cups of shredded carrots.