GRILLED CAESAR SALAD W/CREAMY CASHEW DRESSING
This yummy salad is great for vegans because it provides 25% of your daily iron. The pale green inner leaves (hearts) of romaine lettuce stand up well to a brief sear on the grill creating a delicious smoky flavoring. Sprinkle with grilled focaccia croutons and the creamy, nut-based vegan dressing, and you’ve got a satisfying fork-and-knife salad!
Prep time: 20 minutes
For the dressing:
- 6 tablespoons cashew butter or tahini
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white miso
- 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 small garlic clove, finely chopped and smashed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For the salad:
- 2 large (10-ounce) hearts of romaine, halved lengthwise
- 2 thick slices of red onion (cut into rounds so they are easier to flip on the grill)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (6-ounce) piece focaccia
- Preheat a grill to medium-high. While the grill is heating up, whisk the dressing ingredients and set aside, adding more water if needed to make the mixture pourable.
- Brush the romaine hearts and onion slices with olive oil. Place the onion on the grill, cover, and cook until slightly charred on one side, for 3 minutes. Carefully flip with tongs and grill on the second side until just tender, about 4 more minutes, set aside. Place the romaine hearts, cut side down, and the focaccia on the grill and cook uncovered until the lettuce is slightly wilted and charred on one side, 2–3 minutes, and the focaccia is crisped, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer romaine hearts to a large serving platter or dinner plates. Cut the focaccia and onions into bite-size pieces and scatter over the romaine. Drizzle liberally with the dressing, season with pepper and serve warm.