Gluten Free Vegan Lava Cakes for 2
- 3 heaping Tbsp beet puree (or sub unsweetened apple sauce)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond/soy/coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp Bragg’s apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp organic sugar
- 1 Tbsp melted coconut oil or Vegan butter substitute
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch sea salt
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 1/2 Tbsp all-purpose gluten free flour
- 2 Tbsp semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- For topping/middle: 2 squares quality vegan dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 375°F, remove the stem of the root from your beets, leaving about 1/4” and scrub and wash them underwater until clean. Lay beets in foil, drizzle on a bit of canola oil, wrap tightly, and roast for one hour or until a knife inserts and removes easily. They should be tender. Set in the fridge in a bowl to cool to room temperature. Once cooled, quarter and puree beets in a blender – add water as necessary to help blending. Measure out 3 heaping Tbls. and set aside (freeze the rest for later use).
- Butter two standard size muffin tins with dairy-free butter and coat with cocoa powder – shake out excess. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. (Fill empty muffin spaces with ¼ of water to help bake evenly and save your pan.)
- Add the milk of your choice with vinegar or lemon juice to a small mixing bowl and mix. Let set for a few minutes to activate and make “buttermilk”.
- Add the sugar, oil, vanilla, and beet puree and beat until foamy. Then add cocoa powder, gluten free flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until smooth (small lumps are fine).
- Lastly, add the melted semisweet chocolate and mix once more.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two muffin tins – it should fill nearly to the top. Break up one square of the dark chocolate and press down into the centers of the cakes. Cover with batter using a spoon. Bake 15-20 minutes, or until the edges have pulled away slightly and the top no longer appears wet. It’s okay if it’s a little fudgy but you definitely don’t want underdone cake.
- Let rest in the pan for 4-5 minutes before removing. Gently loosen the edges carefully invert onto a plate or cutting board. Gently transfer to serving plates. Top each cake with the remaining square of vegan dark chocolate and serve with powdered sugar, berries, or coconut whipped cream. Enjoy!