DUTCH APPLE CAKE (w/Gluten-free Option)
This Dutch Apple Cake recipe is moist, delicious and very easy to make. Use a gluten-free flour for a gluten-free dessert!
Prep Time: 25 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
Total Time: 1 hr 5 mins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted (use gluten-free)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ t salt
- ¼ cup sugar (or sugar substitute of choice)
- 4 T unsalted butter
- 1 ½ t vanilla
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup 2% milk (or milk/nut milk of choice)
- ½ cup raw chopped pecans, if desired
- 3 medium apples (2 honey crisp, 1 granny smith or your choice)
- 1 t cinnamon
- ¼ cup sugar (or pure maple syrup or honey)
- 1 T brown sugar (or omit and increase maple syrup or honey to 1/3 cup)
- Preheat the oven at 375 degrees.
- Grease (or use baking spray) a 9-inch springform pan or metal baking dish. Set aside. (Line bottom w/parchment paper if desired)
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Next, using two knives or a fork gently cut the soft butter into the flour mixture, making sure to incorporate it until there are no large lumps.
- Next, add a whisked egg, vanilla, and milk.
- Gently fold everything together until the batter forms. It will be slightly sticky so don’t worry. The juice from apples will moisten the cake as it bakes.
- Next, peel and slice 3 medium-sized apples. Cut slices in half.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add the apples, cinnamon, both sugars, or maple syrup. Toss until the apples are evenly coated.
- Next, pour the batter into the greased pan. Spread the batter and place the apple topping on top of the batter.
- Gently press the apples into the batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the center is fully cooked.
- Remove from the oven and serve slightly warm. Enjoy!