Country Fried Cauliflower with Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, & Asparagus
This simple and delicious country fried cauliflower recipe is perfect for treating your “special someone” to a delicious plant-based Valentine’s meal! Heck, it’s even great on a regular weeknight as well!
For Cauliflower Steaks:
- 1 Head of Cauliflower
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk
- 1 tbsp. vegan mayo
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- 3-4 tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- ½ cup flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
For Cauliflower Gravy:
- Approximately 1 cup of water
- Remaining pieces of cauliflower head
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ cup of non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tbsp. salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
For Mashed Potatoes:
- 5 Russet potatoes, skins on, diced
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 head of garlic, roasted
- ¼ cup non-dairy butter
- ½-1 tbsp. salt
- ½ tbsp. ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut the top off of your head of garlic co you can see the tops of all of the cloves. Place on a sheet of aluminum foil, drizzle with olive oil, and close aluminum foil tightly to fully cover the garlic. Place in over for 45 minutes to an hour and remove once soft.
- Take your head of cauliflower, trim away the green from the bottom, and cut two thick “steaks” out of the middle. (Cut head of cauliflower in half, then cut a slice off of each half)
- Now cut your remaining cauliflower into small pieces. Place cauliflower into a small pot along with 1 smashed raw garlic clove and fill with approx. 1 cup of water (you want the water to be not quite covering the cauliflower completely). Place over high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium-low and cover for 15 minutes. Once cauliflower is extremely tinder, remove from heat and set aside.
- In three shallow dishes place your cornstarch, milk mixed with vegan mayo, and flour mixed with garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. Take each “steak” individually and place in cornstarch, shake off, place in milk mixture, drain excess off, and then place in flour mixture, shake off and set aside.
- Start a large pot of water boiling on your stove and add diced potatoes once a rolling boil is achieved. Boil potatoes for approximately 15 minutes or until they are tender, drain and set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp. of oil in a large skillet and once hot add your cauliflower steaks. Cook approximately 5 minutes and remove once bottom side is browned. Remove from the pan, browned side up, and set aside. Add remaining 1-2 tbsp. of oil to the pan and, once hot, add your cauliflower browned side up to finish cooking the opposite side. Once browned, remove from heat, sprinkle with salt, and set aside to cool.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add rinsed and trimmed asparagus along with salt and pepper, and sauté for 8 – 10 minutes. Until asparagus are tender but still firm. Remove from heat.
- Now add your roasted garlic, non-dairy milk, non-dairy butter, salt, and pepper to your boiled potatoes. Mash them until they reach the desired consistency.
- Take your boiled cauliflower with garlic and add it to a blender with milk, salt, and pepper. Blend until a gravy consistency is formed.
- Place your cauliflower steak on a plate with mashed potatoes as the side, cover with gravy, then add your asparagus. Enjoy!