CHICKPEA AND VEGETABLE COCONUT CURRY
You’re craving takeout. What if we told you that you can whip up this quick Thai-inspired dish in 30 minutes flat? Introducing Chickpea and Veggie Coconut Curry, vegetarian & dairy-free! It’s your new go-to dish when you want to impress someone (or just really want curry). If you’re missing an ingredient, don’t worry. Any of the veggies can be swapped for whatever you have in your fridge—broccoli instead of cauliflower, snap peas instead of bell pepper, green curry paste instead of red, you get the idea. Now, grab an apron and set your timer for half an hour!
PREP TIME: 10 MIN
COOK TIME: 10 MIN
TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- One 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 lime, halved
- One 28-ounce can chickpeas
- 1½ cups frozen peas
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Steamed rice, for serving (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper, and sauté until nearly tender, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic, and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the cauliflower and toss well to combine. Stir in the chili powder, coriander and red curry paste, and cook until the mixture begins to caramelize–about 1 minute.
- Stir in the coconut milk and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cover the saucepan and continue to simmer until the cauliflower is tender–8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and squeeze lime juice into the curry, stirring well to combine. Add the chickpeas and peas, season with salt and pepper, and bring the mixture back to a simmer.
- Serve with rice, if desired. Garnish each portion with 1 tablespoon cilantro and 1 tablespoon scallions.