While grocery shopping, you may have noticed clear bins and barrels with dispensers and scoops holding various goods like beans, grains, nuts, dried fruits, and such. Those are called bulk bins, where you can purchase as much or as little as you wish of an item and pay by weight.
If you are new to bulk-bin shopping, you may think that it’s inconvenient and even intimidating to use. But once you know the benefits and true value of buying from the bulk bins, you will find it difficult NOT to! Take a look at these perks of buying in bulk:
- You have the freedom to buy as much or as little as you want. Because you can buy only what you need, you are less likely to make food waste. You don’t have to worry about buying an unnecessary amount only to end up with expired food in your pantry.
- Bulk buying minimizes packaging, meaning reduced carbon footprint, landfill, and cost.
- It is more cost-effective because you are getting the exact amount of products you want instead of buying a package bigger than you need. Also, you are not paying for the packaging or brand names.
- You can tailor to your dietary needs more easily and with flexibility.
- You can enjoy fresher ingredients by replenishing them as you need.
- You can taste and experiment with new products without the risk of buying too much of something you might not like. Take the chance to broaden your pallet!
Now that you know the benefits of shopping the bulk bins, it’s time to put it into action. If you are new to this, try following this guideline step by step.
How to Shop the Bulk?
- Grab your own container or the ones provided at the store.
- If you are using your own jar or container, stop by the checkout register so they can weigh your containers before filling them. This is called the “tare weight.” Note down the tare weight so you only pay for your food when checking out.
- Select an item and fill the container with an amount of your choice.
- Mark your container or twist-tie with the PLU number (Price Look-Up Code) found on the bin.
- Bring all your containers to the cashier and check out as usual.
It may seem confusing at first, but you’ll get it down in no time. Plus, you can always ask our staff for assistance!
By bulk-bin shopping, you are saving money, making an impact on the environment, and striving for a healthier lifestyle. Start your journey to zero-waste food shopping at Georgetown Market, where you can find all kinds of products in bulk such as rice, grains, beans, pasta, cereal, snacks, nuts, seeds, dried fruits, spices, coffee, and more. If you have any questions, our friendly Georgetown staff will always be around to help!