Summer is officially upon us! Come prepared to all your cookout and barbecues with this delicious summertime coleslaw that’s sure to be a hit! It’s simple, quick to prepare, and just needs to sit and come together before you arrive at your event! Plus this recipe is great because it omits the dairy for those people who can’t enjoy it.
- 8 cups finely chopped cabbage (1 small head purple, 1 small head green)
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots
- 2 tablespoons of finely minced onions
- 1/3 cup unrefined sugar (or substitute monk fruit for an even healthier version)
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp fresh cracked pepper
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup egg-free mayo, we recommend Vegenaise (or you can use regular if not egg-free)
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Place finely chopped cabbage and carrots into a large mixing bowl. (If you can only find large heads of cabbage, feel free to use ½ of a large purple and ½ of a large green cabbage. Or just one large head of purple or green cabbage.)
- Mix the cabbage up so it’s well combined, then add your carrot and onion to the bowl and mix.
- In a smaller bowl or large measuring cup, combine the remainder of ingredients from sugar to lemon juice and mix until a smooth consistency is achieved.
- Add the mixture to your cabbage, carrots, and onion and mix to combine thoroughly. Allow this to chill in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight!