Fall is right around the corner, and with it comes beautiful foliage, pumpkin spiced everything, football, and campfires. With it also comes the dreaded cold and flu season. Don’t pull out your inflatable bubble just yet. There are several things you can do this cold and flu season to help prevent you or anyone in your family from getting the cold or flu. Check out the simple preventions below to get ready for this cold and flu season.
- Be sure that everyone in your family is getting enough sleep. Consistent lack of sleep can have a huge impact on your body’s immune system and its ability to fight off viruses.
- Be sure to wash your hands on a regular basis and keep hand sanitizer around for those emergency situations. Avoid coughing into your hand, as this puts the germs directly on your hand and more likely to spread to others. Instead, be sure to cough into your elbow. Because germs enter your body through your nose, mouth, and eyes, it is important to avoid touching your face.
- Be sure that you are getting a diet full of dark green, red, and yellow vegetables and fruits. These foods are packed full of nutrients, especially Vitamin C that will help your immune system fight off viruses. Try eating one large orange, half a cup of red pepper or broccoli, or a cup of kale, brussel sprouts, or strawberries a day. All of these amounts of foods will give you over 100% of your suggested daily value of Vitamin C. Be sure to check out Georgetown Market’s selection of organic produce to help meet these nutritional needs!
- Not a fan of brussel sprouts or broccoli? Not to worry! You can also take natural supplements that provide you with your suggested daily value of Vitamin C, as well as other important immune boosting vitamins such as echinacea, elderberry, ginger, and ginseng. Stop by our large selection of supplements to find the right combination for you!
- Try adding essential oils into your daily routine. Essential oils have been found to help in many aspects of health, one of which is boosting immune systems. Georgetown Market offers a large selection of essential oils that help with various health problems. They can be used in a diffuser or even added to water.
- Disinfecting your house and workspace is a great way to prevent the common cold or flu. The great news is this can be done without introducing harsh and harmful chemicals into your environment. Vinegar and hydrogen peroxide are two natural disinfectants that are very effective at eliminating germs. White vinegar, for example, can kill up to 80% of germs. The smell quickly evaporates and leaves you with a clean, disinfected surface!
While getting the flu and cold is not fun at all, these tips can make a huge difference on the likelihood that you will get either of the two. So leave your inflatable bubble tucked away this year and instead, try a few of these tips for keeping your immune system strong! Be sure to stop by Georgetown Market to stock up on all your organic produce, supplement, and essential oil needs!