Bean Burgers on the Grill
1 – Cup cooked brown rice
½ – white onion diced finely
1 – cup toasted walnuts
1 – tbsp chili powder
1 – tbsp cumin powder
1 – tbsp paprika
½ – tbsp olive oil or grapeseed oil
½ – tsp each salt and pepper
1 – tbsp organic brown sugar
1.5 – cups cooked black beans
1/3 – cup panko bread crumbs
4 – tbsp BBQ sauce
Bun along with any vegetables to top your burger with (i.e. – Organic lettuce, tomato, or onion)
- Cook rice according to package directions, set aside.
- Heat skillet to medium heat, add raw walnuts, and cook for around 5 minutes until the walnuts are golden brown and fragrant. Remove from skillet and set aside to cool.
- Heat the same skillet over medium heat, once the skillet is hot, add onion, olive oil, and season with salt and pepper, sauté for around 4 minutes, until onion is translucent. Remove from heat.
- Add cooled walnuts to food processor with spices, salt, pepper, and organic brown sugar. Blend until a fine meal is achieved.
- Add drained, rinsed, and dried black beans to a large mixing bowl and mash until almost all beans are mashed.
- To that mixing bowl, add your rice, bread crumbs, walnut mixture, onions, bbq sauce, and mix thoroughly. Taste and adjust seasonings accordingly as you like.
- Divide patties into whatever size you like, ¼ to ½ of the mixture per patty yields very good burgers.
- Heat the grill to medium heat and brush the grilling surface with oil to avoid sticking.
- Once the grill has reached heat, add burgers and close lid.
- Cook burgers 3-4 minutes per side, adding cheese on top after first flip if you’d like
- Remove burgers from heat and let cool while preparing your bun.
- Place burger on bun and enjoy!